At SPX Flow, we are a world leader in sustainable solutions ensuring the controlled and measured movements of life’s essential elements. With our HQ in North Carolina, we have operations in more than 30 countries and an even broader customer base worldwide. Our 4,900 employees innovate to design, deliver and service high-value solutions for our customers across the food, beverage and industrial markets.
We are growing our Research and Development team and as a result we are hiring a Research and Development Lab Technician.
About the role
As the R&D Lab Technician, you’ll be responsible for the setup and execution of tests as needed for the Research and Development Team. You’ll prepare and safely test heat exchangers and related products for material compatibility, design life, safety, performance, and maintenance. These tests could include the setup, execution and analysis of basic heat exchanger tests such as static pressure, pressure drop and thermal performance.
You’ll also need to maintain the test facility including test records, equipment, systems, and supplies.
Your main responsibilities will include:
• Working from engineering drawings and sketches to build and configure product for testing
• Constructing special testing equipment, engaging with internal resources and external vendors as needed
• Working closely with other departments to procure samples and equipment for testing
• Making recommendations for new and replacement test equipment and tools
• Conducting tests and maintain detailed and accurate records
Other responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Operate and maintain valves, fittings, pumps, steam distribution equipment and other lab systems
• Maintain and regularly calibrate pressure, temperature, and vacuum instrumentation
• Construct special testing equipment, engaging with internal resources and external vendors as needed
• Manage small test-driven projects
• Provide troubleshooting assistance to manufacturing and quality teams
We’re looking for someone that has the ability to read mechanical drawings as well as troubleshoot and possibly repair leaking units in testing. You’ll also have the ability to work with simple mathematical concepts. And be able apply those concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
You must have:
• High school diploma and technical training equivalent to 2 years technical college
• Detailed, hands on experience in an engineering shop or maintenance shop environment.
Although not essential, it would also be useful if you have:
• The ability to do gas and arc welding
• Basic skills in navigating AutoCAD, Inventor, Pro-E or other drawing software for reading purposes is preferred
At SPX Flow, we’re driven by ingenuity with a focus on meeting our customers’ needs. Our people have a commitment to hard work, innovation and delivering market leading solutions to our customers. That commitment has brought many rewards to our employees, past and present.
If you have ambition and want to build a career with us, this role could present you with opportunities for you to move upwards, or into different areas of our business in the future.
We offer a competitive benefits package to our employees including:
• Target Bonus, Private medical care and life insurance
• Have a healthy work-life balance through our well-being programmes
• Feel valued at work thanks to our performance & recognition programmes
• Keep your career on track with our development & career growth programmes